Anyone in an organization can potentially be trained in what is known as “suicide prevention gatekeeper training.” (National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention 2012). Suicide Prevention Trainings are a key step in preparation and readiness for individuals and communities in both prevention and postvention.
Yellow Ribbon’s Be A Link!® Community Gatekeeper Training is a community friendly, peer-based, non-clinical training. It teaches simple, effective tools of help between those in need and help resources. It emphasizes the important role parents, school personnel and other trusted adults can play in helping at-risk young people. This core model is appropriate for any adults, professional and non-professional. Yellow Ribbon has feedback that shows that trusted adults such as school bus drivers, coaches, custodians and scout leaders have been instrumental in helping save lives after receiving the training.
- Increased knowledge of Warning Signs, Risk and Protective Factors
- Increased knowledge of help resources and how to access them
- Increased knowledge of liabilities, policies and procedures for schools
- Increased knowledge of how to talk to their own teens about suicide/suicide prevention
- Learn how to respond to a Cry for help
- Learn how to Start the Conversation of help
- Readiness – crisis protocols applicable for your school/site and in your community
Additional tracks for specialized groups are available:
- Training for Trainers Workshop (2-Day) – (Can include Youth Leaders (ages 16 & up)
- School Staff (2-1/2 hours) – Educators, staff (certified & classified) and volunteers
- First Responders (EMS or LE) (2-1/2 hours)
- Addresses your roles as a professional, colleague and civilian; family, neighbor, friend
- Faith Leaders (2-1/2 hours)
- Addresses your roles as a minister/clergy, community leader, colleague and family member/neighbor
Yellow Ribbon Standards for Safe and Effective Messaging for training programs
- Emphasize help-seeking behavior
- Teach Warning Signs, Risk and Protective Factors
- Teach about, and Identify, Resources
- Include appropriate Support Personnel (i.e. counselors, specialists, faith leaders, etc.)
- Don’t glorify or romanticize suicide
To learn more about our Training Programs or about communities that have existing Yellow Ribbon Programs, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.